Work recommences at Aurora Gold Mine

first_imgAurora Gold MineGuyana Goldfields Inc has announced the resumption of operations at the Aurora Gold Mines, after workers would have downed tools and initiated strike actions last Tuesday over grievances relating to their unionisation and severance payments.Three days without production has resulted in the non-processing of an estimated 22,500 ounces of gold.On Friday, the Canadian company indicated that persons are returning to work on a phased approach and it is anticipated that full production will resume shortly.“As a result of the three operational days lost, the company estimates that approximately 22,500 tonnes were not processed, however, full-year production guidance remains unaffected at 145,000-160,000 ounces of gold”, the company stated in a release.Dialogue between employee representatives and the Government has been promised along with full compliance to Guyana’s labour laws.Chief Operation Officer, Suresh Kalathil said in a statement, “Personnel are being re-mobilised and the site is ramping back up to normal operations in a phased and safe manner. The company has agreed to a dialogue with employee representatives and Government authorities to resolve any outstanding issues in full compliance with Guyanese labour law.”The company spent much of Wednesday transporting most of its personnel, via aircraft, from Region Seven (Cuyuni-Mazaruni) to the Eugene F Correia Airport.The workers had claimed that they were threatened with having their Wi-Fi cut off which is vital to ensure communication from their Cuyuni-Mazaruni location to family members on the coast.This publication spoke to several workers, including one who revealed what concerns drove the workers to strike.“There were certain concerns raised by those who were contract workers for four years and so on, and they haven’t been given any confirmation. There are cases where some workers are truck drivers and others are utility operators. That means they can operate many other equipment. And they’re paid on the same rate as the truck drivers,” the worker said.Another added, “There were safety concerns being raised. And salaries. People have been working with the company for years and they’ve been advancing and working with other equipment and pay wise, they’re paid at a standard rate”.While the company had said that workers “blocked” the delivery of ore to the mills, the workers explained that staff, in fact, lay on the ground in an effort to prevent the loader from transferring the ore from the stockpile.Matters had escalated on Thursday to a point where the mining company suspended most of its operations.President of the National Mining Workers Union (NMWU) Sherwyn Downer had previously complained that his efforts with the Department of Labour to gain recognition in order to represent Guyana Goldfields workers were being hindered by the company.On the other hand, the company has said that by law, Downer needed the support of 41 per cent of all workers and not just those stationed at Buckhall. The company had also made it plain that it will not allow the union on site to seek that support from workers, but rather, such a pitch must be made away from Aurora.In an interview at the Department on Wednesday, Minister Scott acknowledged the workers’ concern about being unrepresented by a union. He gave the Government’s commitment to ensure workers get their representation.last_img read more

Maxime Bernier names candidate to run in Montrealarea federal byelection

first_imgMONTREAL — People’s Party Leader Maxime Bernier has chosen a candidate to represent his party in its first-ever Quebec election.Bernier will be in the Montreal area today to launch the campaign of Canadian Army veteran James Seale, who will be on the ballot for the party in the federal byelection in the Outremont riding on Feb. 25.Seale was a member of the armed forces for more than 30 years, and served overseas stints in Israel, Germany, Haiti and Bosnia before later becoming a military instructor and civil servant.Bernier founded the People’s Party of Canada in September after leaving the Conservative Party following a series of disagreements with leader Andrew Scheer.A spokesman says the fledgling party has taken in close to $1 million in donations since last August.The other candidates in Outremont include lawyer Rachel Bendayan for the Liberals, international development specialist Julia Sanchez for the NDP, Jasmine Louras for the Conservative Party, and artist Michel Duchesne for the Bloc Quebecois.The Canadian Presslast_img read more