In efforts to make improvements to society and contribute towards sustainable development in South Africa, the world’s largest food and beverage company, NESTLÉ partnered with the non-profit organisation, South African- Mathematics Foundation (SAMF). The partnership brings together stakeholders in education and nutrition sectors, both private and public, to find solutions aimed at boosting primary school learners’ mathematics performance.The collaboration focused on the launch of the NESTLÉ NESPRAY South African Mathematics Challenge, an annual competition for primary school learners organised by the South African Mathematics Foundation (SAMF).The NESTLÉ NESPRAY South African Mathematics Challenge aims to empower learners to become independent, creative and critical thinkers who will be able to interpret and critically analyse everyday situations that will allow them to solve problems. It promotes teamwork, enthusiasm and helps to develop future leaders and influencers in science, engineering, and marketing sciences across all walks of life. By building an enticing platform for both parents and children, the objective of the NESTLÉ NESPRAY South African Mathematics Challenge is to support teachers and learners in making mathematics attractive and bringing it to the forefront as a subject needed to build a brighter future in South Africa.“We believe that Mathematics is a necessary enabler in the development of conceptual understanding, problem-solving skills, reasoning skills and the ability to apply knowledge in new situations. With decades of expertise in nutrition, NESTLÉ NESPRAY plays a supportive role in cognitive development and overall growth of our children. Together with our partner, the South African Mathematics Foundation; and our stakeholders, we are helping to address the critical situation of mathematics performance of our young children. By amplifying the platform, we aim to make mathematics attractive and to make a difference by giving our children the support and opportunity they need to multiply their potential,” says Adedoja Ekeruch, Business Executive Office, Dairy Nestlé South Africa.For more information visit www.nestle.com/nespray or http://www.samf.ac.za/en/sa-mathematics-challenge
The Vermont Legislature has voted to raise the cap on net-metering, clearing the way for more homeowners to get paid for the excess power they generate.The Alliance for Solar Choice said the measure approved late last month increases the net-metering cap from 4% of a utility’s peak load to 15%. Once an electric utility reaches its cap, it’s no longer required to accept applications for net-metering systems, according to a report in vtdigger.com, so the higher cap should allow more solar customers to hook up their net-metered solar and wind systems to the grid.While utilities around the country appear to be digging in against small solar and wind generators, Mary Powell, the CEO of Vermont’s largest electric utility, seemed to welcome it with open arms.“I think having a cap is a huge problem,” the Green Mountain Power chief executive said in the vtdigger article of last July. “We should figure out how to adapt to this new future that is here and is what our customers want.”The bill upping the net-metering cap was signed into law by Gov. Peter Shumlin on April 1. The measure also applies a streamlined permitting process to larger solar systems, raising the limit from 10 kW to 15 kW, GreenTechMedia reported.
Two IAS officers of the Arunachal Pradesh, Goa, Mizoram and Union Territories (AGMUT) cadre have sought action against protesters who prevented government servants from attending the Republic Day celebrations in Mizoram’s capital Aizawl on Saturday.The officers, currently posted in Mizoram, are Krishna Mohan Uppu, Director of Transport and Additional Chief Electoral Officer, and Bhupesh Chaudhary, Registrar of Cooperative Societies.In his letter to six officers in the Union Home Ministry and the Mizoram government, including the Chief Secretary, Mr. Uppu said he was pained at being prevented from participating in the celebrations.The Joint NGO Coordination Committee, an umbrella organisation of five civil society and students’ groups, had boycotted the R-Day functions throughout Mizoram as a protest against the Citizenship (Amendment) Bill, 2016, that seeks to grant citizenship to persecuted non-Muslims who have come from Afghanistan, Bangladesh and Pakistan till December 31, 2014. The boycott saw Mizoram Governor Kummanam Rajasekharan address a near-empty ground.Mr. Uppu said he had reached the venue, Aizawl’s Assam Rifles ground, an hour before the start of the function with his fellow officers. “To our utter surprise, the representatives of the NGO had been standing guard along with the police personnel on duty at the entrance of the venue and prevented us from entering the venue,” said the 2009 batch IAS officer.Sensing there could be a “law and order situation” if they kept arguing with the protesters and “since the police personnel on duty were not discharging their duty”, Mr. Uppu said they had to leave with a heavy heart and feeling insulted after waiting about an hour.He sought a thorough investigation into the whole episode and “action against all concerned”.Mr. Chaudhary, in his letter to the Chief Secretary and other officers, said what had happened in Mizoram was “unthinkable in a free country”. The protesters, he said, not only prevented them from entering the R-Day venue but also ordered them to return to their official quarters “before any untoward incident happens”.A 2014 batch officer, Mr. Chaudhury wrote: “When we tried to reason with them, we were told that the government of Mizoram has reached an agreement with the NGOs where it was decided that only secretaries to the government of Mizoram and above will be allowed to attend the Republic Day function.”Like Mr. Uppu, he alleged that none of the duty magistrates and police personnel were willing to take any action against the members of the NGO. He too sought strictest possible action against all involved for publicly boycotting the R-Day celebrations.
Telefónica saw its global TV subscriber base grow by almost half last year to over five million. The telco saw TV numbers over all the territories in which it operates grow by 48% in organic terms to reach 5.1 million.The figure compares with 17.7 global broadband subs, up 138,000 in the course of the year. Fibre broadband homes numbered 1.8 million in December up two and a half times over the course of the year.In Spain, Telefónica had 1.9 million TV subscribers, a threefold increase on the 2013 figure. The 2014 figure included the addition of 131,000 ‘TV Mini’ customers in the second quarter. Multi-play penetration increased, with Movistar Fusión offers attracting 3.7 million homes, up 27%. However, overall fixed access revenue generating units dipped by 1% to 41.2 million due to the disconnection of inactive mobile subscribers.Elsewhere, Telefónica saw pay TV numbers in Brazil rise by 20% to 770,000, while TV numbers from Telefónica Hispanoamérica – covering Spanish-speaking America – grew by 14% to 2.4 million.Fibre, mobile contract and pay TV now form the three main pillars of Telefónica’s strategy, helping it to consolidate its position in Spain.Overall, full year revenue amounted to €50.4 billion, while operating income was €15.5 billion.