CC&PA denies rape allegation against officer

first_imgIn light of an article that was published in Guyana Times on June 19, 2018, under the caption, “Teen allegedly molested by CC&PA Office”, Director of the Child Care and Protection Agency, Ann Greene, vehemently denied that an officer of the Agency was the perpetrator.CC&PA Director Ann GreeneDuring a telephone conversation with Guyana Times on Tuesday, Greene explained the officer who was implicated in the matter is the one conducting the investigation. She could not release information on the perpetrator but is adamant that her officer is not involved.The mother of the child however, is attached to another department within the Social Protection Ministry.She explained that an investigation was launched into the matter the moment it was reported to the officers at the CC&PA. She further stated that investigations have been completed and handed over to the Police for further investigation.“As we speak, the files is with the Police who will have to send same to the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) who will determine the way forward…,” she explained.However, she reprimanded Guyana Times for the “erroneous” and “misleading” article and more so threatened to take legal actions. She is of the belief that such articles put a damper on the work of the Agency.“We have been working around the clock in making sure children who were abused are protected and we will continue to make sure that is done…I am disappointed in the article…,” she related.With respect to the complainant, she explained that the CC&PA officers would have met with and updated them on the issue.The 13-year-old victim has reportedly told relatives of the instances when she had been molested by her mother’s lover, but was ignored after he denied the accusations when confronted.The teen continued to complain to relatives that the man would constantly attack her, but she was on several occasions forced to remain silent.An aunt explained that her niece confided in her school teacher, who later reported the matter to a family member.“When she told her mother, (her mother) ignored her and tells her to stop lying, so she felt frustrated and depressed and wanted to kill herself. One day she decided to call her father (my brother) and tell him what was happening, and he give me the phone because he couldn’t deal with it”.The woman said the following day she visited the CC&PA to file a report, but was later told that she has to file it in the jurisdiction in which the incident occurred.Following the allegation being reported, the Form Two student was examined by a doctor, and it was confirmed that she had been sexually violated.The aunt claimed that several weeks have elapsed since the matter was reported, and nothing has been done.The teenager is visibly traumatised; and according to the aunt, the teen is suicidal, since she blames herself for what had happened.last_img read more

Hospital expansion plan stalls in panel

first_imgTo help drum up community support and charitable donations to fund the project, Holy Cross enlisted the help of Dr. Keith Richman, a physician and former assemblyman who returned to private practice after an unsuccessful run for state treasurer last year. Richman blamed the SEIU-United Healthcare Workers-West for orchestrating the opposition. “The unions have tried to get in there and the employees have regularly turned them down,” he said. “In instances where hospitals have tried to expand, and they’re nonunion, SEIU and the other unions throw roadblocks in the way. They use the public process as a way of impeding the process – using the EIR, filing lawsuits so they can impede it because of their ambition to organize.” SEIU-UHW led an unsuccessful campaign to organize workers at Holy Cross three years ago, but union Vice President John Boursos said it had no active plans for another union drive. Though Boursos acknowledged SEIU had contacted the neighborhood groups, he said it did so based on its statewide push for better health care rather than for leverage in future campaigns. With an environmental impact report, he said, all parties would be able to speak up and hopefully work out differences before construction begins. “The best resolution would be a full EIR, the concerns of the neighbors, environmental and groups like ours are met, then a project that everyone can support can be built,” Boursos said. “We’d be very happy with that.” The fight has dragged in local politicians on both sides. The opposition enlisted City Councilman Richard Alarc n; the hospital obtained the support of county Supervisor Zev Yaroslavsky. “Yes, it slows down the process, but for good reason,” Alarc n said. “The community deserves to know what the environmental impacts are. Presumably, if Holy Cross is going to do everything it says, they shouldn’t have a problem.” Yaroslavsky said he was sympathetic to local concerns but an EIR would take too long. Noting the perilous state of Valley emergency care, he said the hospital’s construction should proceed as swiftly as possible. “I think people need to chill out and reason with others and not hold this up,” he said. “This is a very important project for the Valley. This is not a theoretical game being played here. This is a life-and-death issue.” brent.hopkins@dailynews.com (818) 713-3738160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! “We’d just like to see a really good project for the community.” Hospital administrator Kerry Carmody said Holy Cross wants to be receptive to locals’ concerns, lowering parking costs, conducting a traffic study and planning an energy-efficient facility that would minimize environmental issues. Hospital officials had hoped to break ground in 2008, adding a neonatal intensive care unit and replacing a good chunk of the 359 beds lost when Granada Hills Community Hospital and Northridge Hospital-Sherman Way closed in recent years. Carmody said he believes an EIR, which requires the hiring of an outside reporting firm, lengthy public comment periods and more stringent, state-mandated regulations, would unnecessarily hinder construction. The Planning Commission’s decision to hold up the process for another two months will hamper the hospital’s attempts to add services, he said. “Obviously, that’s a big disappointment for us,” he said. “From a hospital point of view, any delay is a tremendous problem. We run at close to 100 percent occupancy every day.” MISSION HILLS – Providence Holy Cross Medical Center’s plan to add 136 beds to the San Fernando Valley’s badly stressed health care system has come under fire from residents and union and environmentalist activists. Claiming the project could cause illness, blight and traffic, the unusual coalition got the $143 million tower expansion plan put on hold for two months while the Los Angeles City Planning Commission considers whether it needs a full environmental impact report. Activists with the Sylmar Neighborhood Council, environmental groups and health care workers union say requiring the report will protect the community’s interests. “This would give us a full standing alongside the developer,” said Jon Ulloth, a member of the San Fernando Valley Greens and a Mission Hills resident. “If we don’t have it, whatever they want to do, they can do. last_img read more

COMEBACK KID CARL SET FOR WEMBLEY DREAM

first_imgTHE day has finally arrived.This afternoon Carl McHugh from Lettermacaward will take to the hallowed surface at Wembley hoping to be part of history and pull off the greatest Cup shock ever.His League 2 side Bradford City take on Premiership star Swansea in the Capital One League Cup Final. And even Carl admits it’s all a bit surreal.“This season has been crazy but great for me,” said the 20-year-old Donegal native.“I am really enjoying it. When I came to Bradford in the summer, I just wanted a chance to play football somewhere. I needed to reignite my career after what happened last year.“Being released by Reading, you do have your doubts and think about what the future will bring. But I wanted to work hard and hope that things went well. “There were times this season when I wasn’t playing, just playing in the reserves, but the gaffer told me to work hard and wait for my chance.“The gaffer gave me that chance and I have taken it. But now I want to kick on.”And with 120 family and friends in the crowd at Wembley today, there’s no better place to kick on!His manager Phil Parkinson said: “It’s going to be a great occasion and we’ve got to make sure we savour every moment.“The fans must remember they could be supporting their club all their lives and never have anything like this. “We should all be privileged to be involved.“Everybody needs to understand the position we are in and soak up the atmosphere.”The match is live on Sky, kick-off 4pm with highlights on BBC at 10.20pm.COMEBACK KID CARL SET FOR WEMBLEY DREAM was last modified: February 24th, 2013 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more