“In all, we now believe 1,889 people have perished this year while making such journeys, 1,600 of these since the start of June,” said Melissa Fleming, UNHCR spokesperson, telling reporters in Geneva today that over the past few days, at least three vessels having overturned or sunk.The first and largest of these incidents occurred on Friday when a boat reportedly carrying at least 270 people overturned near Garibouli to the east of Tripoli. Nineteen people, one of them a woman, survived.“The Libyan coastguard has since recovered the bodies of 100 others, including five children under the age of five and seven women, but the remaining passengers are feared drowned,” said Fleming.According to survivors’ reports, the boat was packed full and more people were pushed on board before they departed. The boat suddenly flipped trapping the people on the lower deck. To support the search and recovery operation, the Libyan coastguard has requested body bags, equipment, medical help and manpower.In a second incident on the evening of Saturday, 23 August, a damaged rubber dinghy was recovered by the Italian Navy 20 miles from Libyan territorial waters. Seventy-three people were rescued, and 18 bodies recovered. Ten people are believed still missing. The passengers were mainly from Mali, Cote d’Ivoire, Guinea and Sudan.In a third incident, on Sunday evening, 24 August, a fishing boat carrying roughly 400 people capsized north of the Libyan coast in bad weather conditions. The Italian navy and coastguard, in a joint operation with a nearby merchant ship, rescued 364 people. So far 24 bodies have been recovered and more are feared dead.The main departure country for Europe is Libya, where the worsening security situation has fostered the growth of people smuggling operations, but also prompted refugees and migrants living there to risk the sea rather than remain in a zone of conflict.“UNHCR’s Tripoli office receives daily calls from refugees, asylum-seekers and other vulnerable people expressing fear for their lives and making desperate requests for food, water, medicine and relocation. Those who choose to leave for Italy are taking longer and riskier journeys through new ports of departure such as Benghazi,” said Ms. Fleming.This situation demands urgent and concerted European action including strengthened search and rescue operations in the Mediterranean, ensuring that rescue measures are safe and incur minimum risks for those being rescued, Ms. Fleming added. As more refugees and migrants risk their lives at sea to reach Europe, mostly Eritreans, Syrians, and Somalis, urgent action is needed including in finding legal alternatives to these dangerous journeys.In 2011 around 1,500 people died trying to cross into Europe; in 2012 around 500; in 2013 over 600 and so far in 2014 over 1,880, according to UNHCR. In 2011 an estimated 69,000 people arrived in Europe; in 2012 some 22,500; in 2013 some 60,000; so far, in 2014 124,380. As of 24 August, the majority of them – 108,172 people – arrived in Italy.“It is of vital importance that survivors of these tragedies, who often have lost family and friends, be given immediate access to psychological support once they are disembarked. UNHCR has also called for procedures to be put in place to allow for identification of the bodies recovered at sea, providing quick and clear information so that families are not subjected to unnecessary additional suffering,” Ms. Fleming added.[mappress]Press Release, August 27, 2014; Image: UNHCR/M. Sibiloni UNHCR: Deadliest Week for Refugees View post tag: Refugees View post tag: News by topic The past few days have been the deadliest this year for people making irregular crossings on the Mediterranean from North Africa to Europe, with the United Nations Refugee Agency (UNHCR) reporting that at least 300 people have died in successive boat tragedies. View post tag: Deadliest Authorities View post tag: Navy August 27, 2014 View post tag: europe Back to overview,Home naval-today UNHCR: Deadliest Week for Refugees View post tag: Naval View post tag: UNHCR View post tag: week Share this article
A survey from car company Vauxhall suggests that British drivers are disappointed with food-to-go on offer in service stations, with 80% saying it was unhealthy and 70% believing it was poor quality.The company has signed up British food writer, Thomasina Miers, winner of BBC TV’s 2005 MasterChef, to devise ’Food on the Move!’ recipes, which include chocolate baguettes and ham sarnies with a twist. She is suggesting ways for consumers to replace their quick fix of chocolate bars and sugary drinks with more healthy alternatives.Recipes include smokey paprika wholemeal pitta bread crisps, dark chocolate baguettes and flatbread wraps with ham, mustard and lettuce, extra mature cheddar and Marmite or chicken and avocado.Simon Ewart of Vauxhall said: “Fueling your mind and body while on a long road trip is just as important as fueling your car.”
Submitted by Olympic National ForestThe Christmas season is fast approaching and you are invited to visit beautiful Olympic National Forest to enjoy the winter splendor and cut your own Christmas tree. “You-Cut” Christmas tree permits are available from now until December 24 at various locations around the Olympic Peninsula. The permits cost $5.00 each and credit cards are now accepted as well as cash and checks.Permits are available during regular business hours, Monday through Friday, with special weekend hours at some locations. The permits are valid only in specified areas of Olympic National Forest. Maps and a list of cutting locations will be provided with each permit sale.Please contact your local office for hours and additional information, as well as for current road and weather conditions. Please be prepared to drive in winter conditions, wear warm clothing, and bring extra food and water. Note that all offices will be closed on November 28 for the Thanksgiving holiday.Olympic National Forest Headquarters in Olympia (360-956-2300)Hood Canal Ranger District Office in Quilcene (360-765-2200)Pacific Ranger District Office in Quinault (360-288-2525)Hoodsport Visitor Information Center (360-877-2021)Forks Visitor Information Center (360-374-6522) Facebook54Tweet0Pin0
Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest Today will be dry but will be a transition day as we start to work into a more active weather pattern from now through the end of the year. Today will feature increasing clouds ahead of our next weather system, but temps remain above normal for this time of year. This will be the last dry day until we get to the weekend. Rain moves into the state tomorrow, bringing a few hundredths to .3”,tracking mostly over western Ohio. A secondary, stronger batch of moisture surges up into Ohio for Friday. This is where we can see some significant moisture development, and are penciling in up to 1.25″ of precipitation. The rains linger into early Saturday before ending. Cold air will be advancing, but we think it does not get here fast enough to cause a problem with the Friday moisture…it should all stay liquid. We won’t rule out wet snow flakes as precipitation ends early Saturday, or near the lake early Saturday morning. for Friday, we just don’t think it’s a big deal. Overall, combined moisture for the next two days will end up at from .25″-1.5″ with coverage at 90%. The map at right shows an update of rain totals through Saturday midday. We are dry for most of the weekend…all of Saturday and most of Sunday. We will be turning much colder as temps fall to below normal levels. We are still talking up a chance of some light snow overnight Sunday night through mid morning Monday and leaving snow totals at a coating to an inch or two, and coverage at 70% of the state. The best snows may end up being in central Ohio. We are dry Monday. Christmas Day is becoming more interesting. There is a huge discrepancy between models. The European model brings a major winter storm with snow, some rain and major accumulations, along with wind. However, the GFS model says a little rain late in the day on Christmas, mostly over west central and southwest Ohio…and, oh – it’s going to be warm. This is one of the biggest discrepancies we can remember 7 days out on a system. Right now, we continue to leave our forecast dry for Christmas Day, as that has been our bias to this point. We are going to have to see some data that supports the Euro over the next few days in order to get on to any Christmas storm bandwagon at this time. So, we are dry Christmas in our forecast, and we keep the dry weather through Wednesday and the first half of next Thursday. From there, we get wet. Rains arrives Thursday night )27th) and holds through Friday the 28th, bringing .2”-.8” and 90% coverage. Then for the extended forecast period, we have snow to the north and rain to the south from Saturday night the 29th through Sunday midday (30th). Then rain is bac for Monday the 31st through Tuesday the 1st. Then we have snow from late the 2nd through the 3rd. So, expect a very active finish to 2018 and an active start to 2019.
Sited in the heart of old Pune, the prestigious Kasba Peth Assembly seat a BJP stronghold for three decades, will witness a tussle between two Pune civic body stalwarts — the mayor Mukta Tilak, (BJP-Sena candidate) and Arvind Shinde of the Congress.The constituency, which comprises a significant part of Peshwa-era Pune with its rickety wadas, was until recently senior BJP leader Girish Bapat’s virtual fiefdom with him winning the seat in consecutive elections since 1995 before vacating it to contest – and win – the Pune Lok Sabha seat in the general elections this year.The city, with its legendary Ganesha mandals, also forms the heart of Pune’s old trading community with a significant proportion of small traders from the Gujarati and Jain communities.The Congress has been able to wrest the Kasba Assembly seat only twice from the BJP since 1980 — in 1985 and in the 1991 by-election.The problem of crumbling old wadas (traditional dwellings) and their long-pending redevelopment, traffic congestion in the narrow, bustling lanes and lack of potable water in several places are among the key issues in this segment. While the situation has remained unchanged, two fresh candidates from the major contenders have raised hopes that some of the burning civic problems may be redressed. “The BJP won the Pune Municipal Corporation polls by a thumping majority. Yet, the problems of Kasba Peth, including that of water have not only persisted but have multiplied,” alleged Mr. Shinde, a three-time corporator who was one of the frontrunners for the candidacy of the Pune Lok Sabha constituency.He faces an extremely tough competitor in Ms. Tilak — a scion of the Bal Gangadhar Tilak family — who is also Mayor of the Pune Municipal Corporation (PMC).A veteran party hand, Ms. Tilak has a strong base in the Old Pune area, having been the BJP’s leader in the PMC since 2009.“This constituency which also includes Narayan Peth and Sadashiv Peth has veered towards the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) and the BJP as it has been the hotbed of Hindu nationalism,” says city-based political analyst Rajendra Pandharpure. He observes that the BJP has always had firm adherents in this part of the city through its network of educational institutes and other think tanks like the Rambhau Mhalgi Prabhodini that propagates the Sangh’s ideology.“The Brahmin voters here have always sided with the BJP. This is an area whose political clime has been charged with its strongly religious fervour favouring radical Hindutva outfits like the Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP). In contrast, the Congress and the NCP party structures here have remained weak,” says Mr. Pandharpure.However, he also said that things could change this time around owing to new areas being added after the delimitation of 2008.Observers say that while the dice may be loaded in Ms. Tilak’s favour, the BJP campaign machinery will be heavily engaged in the Kothrud Assembly seat, where BJP State chief Chandrakant Patil faces a prestige battle.While the BJP had been winning the past elections owing to a divided opposition, observers point out that this time the saffron alliance faces a possible vote fragmentation due to the intense disaffection prevailing among the Shiv Sena in Pune.“Moreover, the Congress and the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) have come together in the battle for the Kasba segment. This is bound to favour Mr. Shinde,” opined Mr. Pandharpure.The city’s Sena leaders are disappointed by the fact that their bigger ally has not left even a single seat (out of the eight Assembly seats) for them in the city — the birthplace of Shiv Sena founder Bal Thackeray.Sena leader and former corporator Vishal Dhanawade, has already filed his nomination to contest as an Independent.“The Sena’s membership has increased drastically since 2009. The BJP’s decision of not letting us contest on even a single seat is unjust. I am confident of support from my followers,” said Mr. Dhanawade.
The International Cricket Council (ICC) on Thursday ruled out Kolkata’s iconic Eden Gardens as the venue for its first match of the World Cup between India and England on February 27. The Eden GardensAn ICC inspection team, which visited Kolkata on Tuesday, deemed the stadium unfit to host the high-profile World Cup clash as it was still undergoing renovation despite the deadline to complete the work lapsed thrice. ICC chief executive Haroon Lorgat pulled up the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) and the Cricket Association of Bengal (CAB) for failing to meet the deadlines. “All venues had ample time to prepare for the World Cup matches. We had been understanding and had provided extensions to the deadline dates but unfortunately we are now at a point where we must carefully manage our risks,” Lorgat said. “Sadly, Eden Gardens in Kolkata was unable to meet the final deadline date of 25 January 2011. Eden Gardens has not made sufficient progress to justify the level of confidence required to confirm that the venue would be ready, Lorgat said, adding, “This was no easy decision to take and while it is most unfortunate, it is absolutely necessary.” BCCI blames CABBCCI vice-president Rajiv Shukla tried to play down the development saying that lack of preparation at Eden Gardens was responsible for it, not the BCCI. He told Headlines Today that the new venue for the match was yet to be decided. He also denied any politics in shifting the venue. “They checked the venues. After visiting the Kolkata venue they felt that it could not be used for World Cup matches. CAB was quite confident that all construction work would be finished in time… but sometimes it happens. They couldn’t complete it. Most state associations have completed their job on time, but Kolkata could not,” Shukla said. Sources said Bangalore was among the front runners to grab the India-England match. The ICC team, comprising Van Furren Eugiene, Campbell Jamieson and Chris Tetley, had inspected the venue for over four hours with the media barred entry to the stadium. None of the members spoke to the media after the inspection. Fate of other matchesadvertisementAs construction activity was still underway at the stadium, which hosted the 1987 World Cup final, the Jagmohan Dalmiya-led CAB missed the deadlines to hand over the venue to the organisers. Eden Gardens was scheduled to host four matches. Apart from India-England match, it was to host Ireland-South Africa tie on March 15, Ireland-Holland on March 18 and Kenya-Zimbabwe on March 20. As things stand, the much-talked about press box and VIP enclosures of the stadium were still not ready. The bucket seats have not been fixed in the upper tiers of five blocks of A, B, C, K and L. Even the basic amenities like toilets were in a spot of bother with building materials strewn all over. CAB cries foulCAB joint secretary Biswaroop Dey said he had no idea why the ICC took such a drastic decision. On the other side, cricket operations manager of the stadium, Naresh ojha, made an open challenge to the ICC. He said, if the ICC wants “Eden Gardens can host a match even tomorrow”. CAB president Dalmiya at the time of latest inspection of the stadium had said it was a “routine ongoing process that happens before every match”. He had blamed the media for giving a wrong picture of the renovation of the historic venue.