Pringle says World Record application highlights bailout burden

first_img A Donegal Deputy has described as a sad day for Ireland the news that a campaign group is seeking to get Ireland into the Guinness Book of Records for having the worlds most expensive bank bailout.Independent Thomas Pringle says the move is however an accurate reflection of the unjust burden that has been put on the people.The bid is being submitted by the campaign group Debt Justice Action.Deputy Pringle says it is a unique way to highlight the cost of the bank bailout:[popcast]http://www.highlandradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/thom1pm.mp3[/podcast] Pringle says World Record application highlights bailout burden Google+ Facebook Google+ RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Business Matters Ep 45 – Boyd Robinson, Annette Houston & Michael Margey WhatsApp Calls for maternity restrictions to be lifted at LUH WhatsApp Twitter Facebookcenter_img Pinterest By News Highland – December 18, 2012 Previous articleCounty Manager seeks clarification on future of water staffNext articleO’Domhnaill says septic tank grant scheme must be expanded News Highland News LUH system challenged by however, work to reduce risk to patients ongoing – Dr Hamilton Guidelines for reopening of hospitality sector published Almost 10,000 appointments cancelled in Saolta Hospital Group this week Pinterest Twitter Need for issues with Mica redress scheme to be addressed raised in Seanad alsolast_img read more

Chancellor reveals government will pay staff to ‘take leave’ instead of being made redundant, and suspends VAT payments

first_imgHome » News » Agencies & People » Chancellor reveals government will pay staff to ‘take leave’ instead of being made redundant, and suspends VAT payments previous nextAgencies & PeopleChancellor reveals government will pay staff to ‘take leave’ instead of being made redundant, and suspends VAT paymentsMeasures are part of package announced this evening by Rishi Sunak designed to prevent large-scale lay-offs and business failures.Nigel Lewis20th March 202005,052 Views Chancellor Rishi Sunak has this evening revealed extraordinary new measures designed to help businesses of all sizes during the Coronavirus crisis.Any business think of laying off staff can instead give them temporary leave and the government will pay 80% of their salary up to £2,500 a month, although the chancellor urged businesses to top this payment up where possible.“This is designed to retain jobs even if an employer cannot afford to pay their staff,” said Sunak.The scheme is to run for three months and will have no financial limit, but won’t be ready to begin payments until the end of April.“This is the first time a scheme like this has ever been seen in the UK,” said Sunak.But to ease the pain in the meantime, he also revealed an extension of his previously-announced interest-free business loans scheme.Another measure, which few were expecting, has been to suspend VAT payments for the next three months, although the VAT owed will have to be paid back once the crisis is over.“I know this is an incredibly difficult time for business but we are doing everything in our power to help you,” said Sunak.“I would urge businesses to look at the support options and schemes open to them before making a decision about whether to lay people off.”Sunak also announced an increase in Universal Credit payments and measures to help the self employed workers to be given similar help as those who are employed.Marc von Grundherr of Benham & Reeves, says: “This latest announcement provides a glimmer of hope for many independent agents and big corporates, in particular, taking a large proportion of the weight from their shoulders where staff cost are concerned. The ability to defer their VAT bill until the end of the year will also be a huge help.Russell Quirk says in reaction to the announcement: “Unprecedented times call for unprecedented measures. This is the equivalent in Government support of the Battle of Britain – and it actually is a battle.“Aiding estate and letting agencies, mortgage brokers and PropTech firms with up to £2500 per employee per month in salary subsidy for the foreseeable, is truly incredible stuff and the difference between survival and going bust. We can ride this out and beat the virus. The industry just got its delivery of Spitfires to do just that”.Polly Neate, chief executive of Shelter said, “For the many thousands of people worrying about how they will pay rent, keep the lights on, and keep food in the fridge, today’s announcement will be a great relief.“These are vital measures to strengthen the safety net and to keep people in work, and they will significantly reduce the numbers of people at risk of losing their home.“We are already hearing from people who are rapidly losing work and we think the government may need to further increase Housing Benefit to cover average rents as well as introduce other measures to provide crucial security to these workers during this crisis”Watch the whole announcement.Read more about government efforts to help business. Rishi Sunak Russell Quirk Chancellor of the Exchequer March 20, 2020Nigel LewisWhat’s your opinion? Cancel replyYou must be logged in to post a comment.Please note: This is a site for professional discussion. Comments will carry your full name and company.This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.Related articles BREAKING: Evictions paperwork must now include ‘breathing space’ scheme details30th April 2021 City dwellers most satisfied with where they live30th April 2021 Hong Kong remains most expensive city to rent with London in 4th place30th April 2021last_img read more

Sourav Ganguly claims playing Pakistan in cricket down to ‘government decision’

first_imgAdvertisement 2mmNBA Finals | Brooklyn VslpvmWingsuit rodeo📽Sindre E671jk( IG: @_aubreyfisher @imraino ) kbqc3Would you ever consider trying this?😱12wbhCan your students do this? 🌚1qb6Roller skating! Powered by Firework The BCCI president, Sourav Ganguly sat down for a chat in his hometown, Kolkata where he talked about India and Pakistan’s relationship in the cricketing world and also spoke about Mahindra Singh Dhoni’s retirement plans. While the public and fans are questioning about India playing Pakistan during this stressful time, Sourav quickly laid all the questions to rest after he revealed that the decision to play Pakistan is not in his hands. The decision lies entirely in the hands of the Government. If the Government decides that India will play a match with Pakistan, then they have no choice but to do as they are told.Advertisement Regarding MS Dhoni’s retirement, the former India team captain is currently enjoying his time off the field. While his retirement rumours are increasing day by day, the cricketer does not seem to be too concerned by it. When Sourav was asked about Dhoni’s plans and when he is going to come back, he replied, “It is up to him, with so much of experience I am sure he knows what’s best for him.” The 38-year-old cricketer has not played a single match after his stint at the World Cup.Advertisement While he did drive his team to victory in the 2011 World Cup, MS Dhoni’s has not been able to keep with young players in the current India team. In the Wolrd Cup held last year, Dhoni received some harsh comments from both fans and critics alike for his performance at the event. The batsman wicketkeeper was known for his batting technique, but his latest performance has fans worried. He was slow in his approach and it was clear to anyone that he was not his best shape. Nevertheless, the cricketer is now enjoying his time with his family and fans may get to hear more from him once he returns from his vacation.Sourav Ganguly was also questioned about last year’s IPL that was riddled with errors and mistakes on the part of the umpires. As the BCCI head, Sourav has decided that this year to keep the same mistakes from happening again, there will be a third umpire who will monitor all the matches.Advertisement 48-year-old Pravin Tambe reacts to being picked up by KKR in the IPL auctionThe Ones That Got Away: A quick look at the unsold players after the end of 2020 IPL Auctions Advertisementlast_img read more