Dim Job Market Expected for Burlington

first_imgDim Job Market Expected for Burlington March 15, 2005 — Burlington area employers expect to hire at a sluggish pace during the second quarter of 2005, according to the Manpower Employment Outlook Survey. Among survey participants, the Burlington area employment outlook is one of the weakest in the nation. From April to June, 14% of the companies interviewed plan to hire more employees, while 28% expect to reduce their payrolls, according to Manpower spokesperson Tom Winner. Another 44% expect to maintain their current staff levels and 14% are not certain of their hiring plans. Burlington area employers have weaker hiring intentions than in the first quarter when 20% of the companies interviewed intended to add staff, and 17% planned to reduce headcount,” said Winner. “Employers are much less positive about hiring than they were a year ago when 20% of companies surveyed thought employment increases were likely and 7% intended to cut back.” For the coming quarter, job prospects appear best in Wholesale/Retail Trade. Employers in Non-Durable Goods Manufacturing, Education and Public Administration plan to reduce staffing levels, while those in Durable Goods Manufacturing and Services voice mixed hiring intentions. Hiring in Construction, Transportation/Public Utilities and Finance/Insurance/Real Estate is expected to remain unchanged. The national results of the Manpower Employment Outlook Survey for the second quarter of 2005 reveal that strong hiring activity is expected to continue across the United States. Of the 16,000 U.S. employers that were surveyed, 30% plan to add staff in the second quarter, while 7% expect to reduce their payrolls. Fifty-eight percent of the hiring managers polled anticipate no change in staff levels for the coming quarter, and 5% are unsure of their hiring plans.When seasonal variations are removed from the data, the Net Employment Outlook is the same as it was for the first three months of the year and is similar to last year at this time. In fact, this marks the fifth consecutive quarter in which employers have reported hiring expectations that rival those last seen in the beginning months of 2001.last_img read more

SOUTHCOM Celebrates 50th Anniversary

first_img Command’s history goes back to World War II, when the former U.S. Caribbean Defense Command was created to defend the Panama Canal. In the 1950’s the command’s mission evolved to include security cooperation in Central and South America. The command was re-designated U.S. Southern Command on June 11, 1963. Deputy Defense Secretary Ash Carter also spoke during the ceremony and underscored the importance of the region. “Your commitment to working with partners, both in the region and throughout the U.S. government … is helping build an integrated network of defense in the Western Hemisphere, based on shared responsibility and shared values,” Carter told the audience. “SOUTHCOM’s engagement and investment in the region has been an important part of that kind of success.” By Dialogo June 12, 2013 Marine Corps Gen. John F. Kelly, commander of SOUTHCOM, noted that the command grew out of President John F. Kennedy’s vision of a Western Hemisphere that served as a “beacon of freedom, opportunity and equality.” “Fifty years later, President Kennedy’s vision has all but come true,” Kelly said. He noted that SOUTHCOM has come a long way, changing missions, structure and location many times during the past 50 years. U.S. Southern Command celebrated its 50th Anniversary during a ceremony at the command headquarters on June 4th. last_img read more

Op-Ed: Food Stamp Cuts Threaten Long Islanders

first_imgSign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York Nov. 1 marks the end of the SNAP/Food Stamp benefit increase created by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009.The cut poses great harm to the close to 190,000 Long Islanders enrolled in the program, a number that has more than doubled in the past five years, after the recession and the devastation of Hurricane Sandy. It also threatens to hurt our still stagnant economy.While the benefit reduction is about 5.5 percent across the program, the allotment slash varies by household size. A family of four will lose about $36 per month. This is a devastating amount when current benefits typically last only three weeks—rather than the entire month—leading to hunger and a dependence on food pantries to try and make up the shortfall. LI food banks are already strained and today’s SNAP cuts will only intensify the demand.Heightened food insecurity presents great risks to health. Hunger and malnourishment put adults and children at risk for illness and chronic disease. School and work productivity often suffer as a result.Often overlooked is the impact that hunger has on mental well-being. For children, this may immediately lead to behavioral problems. For adults, already suffering from the strain of economic uncertainty, additional pressure may lead to profound emotional distress.Anxiety and depression then creates family tensions, makes working or finding work difficult and worsen physical ailments. These harmful effects impact not just individuals or families but the entire region through rising health costs and dollars of investment lost to the community.Studies show that SNAP dollars are also a real boon to local economies. Moreover, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, for every $5 of new SNAP money spent, $9 of economic activity is generated.Currently, LI SNAP benefits total more than $27,000,000 per month. With the SNAP multiplier effect in mind, the Island’s economy stands to loses about $30.3 million per year after the SNAP cuts today.Dr. Sarah Eichberg is Director of Community Research and Author for Adelphi University Vital Signs, the research arm of the Center for Health Innovation, which is a project that analyzes the social health of communities on Long Island.last_img read more

PRICOA raises £850m to break £2bn barrier

first_imgWould you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.last_img

Leading lady

first_imgTo access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletterslast_img

Mourinho slams United as they hand title to City

first_imgManchester, United Kingdom | AFP | Jose Mourinho applauded Manchester City’s Premier League title success, but lambasted Manchester United after West Bromwich Albion’s shock 1-0 win on Sunday.In order to prevent City from being crowned champions for a few more days, United had to avoid defeat against bottom club Albion at Old Trafford.But Jay Rodriguez’s 73rd minute header gave West Brom a stunning victory after they arrived at Old Trafford having lost nine of their previous 10 games. It is ironic that United came back from 2-0 down against City themselves last weekend to win 3-2 and delay City’s party, only to surrender so tamely on home soil.Mourinho claimed afterwards that he had not been happy after the City result because he knew they would win the league regardless and he accused some of his players of getting carried away.“I don’t know if I was the first or second or third but I congratulate them face to face when I had the chance,” Mourinho said.“I knew that sooner or later they would be (champions) and if I was in their position I would be very upset if someone said they won the title because Manchester United lost against West Brom. “They won because they were the best team, they lost only a few points. Probably because I won eight championships, I was not in the moon with the victory against them.“That doesn’t make me feel super happy and in my opinion affected for sure some of the people that was too happy.”center_img United’s afternoon was symptomatic of their entire season.Their squad is crammed full of wonderfully potent performers such as Juan Mata, Paul Pogba, Romelu Lukaku and Alexis Sanchez, yet the Premier League table, which shows them 16 points behind City, does not lie.United have scored a full 30 goals fewer than City this season and Mourinho has not managed to get his side to click, despite being able to bring on further talent such as Marcus Rashford, Jesse Lingard and Anthony Martial.Mourinho pulled no punches about his squad’s lack of consistency, but the former Chelsea boss made it clear he believes he can return United to the summit of English football.Share on: WhatsApp Pages: 1 2last_img read more

Bruh moment of 10th December 2019: Everton footballer Dominick Calvert-Lewin caught red handed photoshopping…

first_imgImage Courtesy: Getty/Instagram(@domcalvertlewin)Advertisement 2381e6bNBA Finals | Brooklyn Vsamxe7Wingsuit rodeo📽Sindre Ewog( IG: @_aubreyfisher @imraino ) uvjWould you ever consider trying this?😱aoCan your students do this? 🌚9ambRoller skating! Powered by Firework In the age of internet, footballers have been subjects of crazy photoshops. Fans, news outlets and sometimes even the clubs themselves indulge in editing their players with bizarre ideas. But, Everton forward Dominic Calvert Lewin has eclipsed everybody. Why, you ask? He edited six pack abs on his stomach all by himself!Advertisement Image Courtesy: Getty/Instagram(@domcalvertlewin)The 22 year old attacker scored a brace last Saturday as the Toffees thrashed Chelsea FC 3-1 at home. He was seen celebrating with kissing the club badge on his jersey, which exposed his tummy.On his official Instagram @domcalvertlewin, the England under 21 international posted a picture, where he is seen flaunting his abs after netting one in against the blues. Check it out below-Advertisement Now, compare this picture with Calvert Lewin doing the same, but this time from the club’s official Instagram account-You got caught, Dominic!Although supporters and teammates were going gaga over the imaginary abs on the player’s post, everybody noticed Everton’s version of the same photo, and were able to detect the crazy photoshop.A Sheffield United youth, Calvert Lewin arrived at Goodison Park in 2016, after two loan spells at  Northern Premier League side Stalybridge Celtic and EFL League Two clubNorthampton Town. He was also called up for the England under 21 line up in 2017, after a year with the under 20 team.Saturday’s 3-1 victory over Lampard’s side has brought the spirit back in the team, following their 5-2 rout against Liverpool on 5th December at the Anfield stadium.The game saw a 5th minute opener from club superstar Richarlison, before Calvert Lewin made it 2-0 by the 49th minute. Chelsea midfielder Mateo Kovačić scored the solo in the 52nd minute, but Dominic gave the hosts their final score in the 84th minute.Soon after the match, the forward revealed to BT Sport that the brace was dedicated to the club’s current interim manager Duncan Ferguson.“It was a massive win for us and obviously for Dunc, he loves the club. I’ve got a very close relationship with him, I’m happy to score two goals in this big occasion,” he told reporters.Ferguson, who is a club legend, was appointed at the helm after Marco Silva was sacked after the Liverpool game.With 17 points from 5 games, Everton are down in the 16th position in the league table. Advertisementlast_img read more

Mouser receives distribution accolade from FTDI Chip

first_img Continue Reading Previous IAR Systems takes RISC-V to the next levelNext Clientron debuts flexible thin client S810 with innovative Port-on-Foot design USB connectivity IC manufacturer FTDI Chip has bestowed this year’s global distribution award on Mouser Electronics for being the global distributor with the most significant sales revenue growth in 2018. As a longstanding and highly valued supply chain partner, Mouser has been successful in accentuating the effectiveness of FTDI Chip’s worldwide commercial operations – thereby complementing the company’s own direct sales network. Through its powerful online presence, Mouser has gained traction with the design engineering community in key Asian, North American and European markets, as well as addressing new application opportunities that are starting to emerge. As a result of this, the distributor has brought about a major increase in unit shipments across the whole FTDI Chip range of silicon solutions, plus its supporting cables, development hardware and evaluation modules, while also offering rapid delivery from a centralized stock reserve. This encompasses the manufacturer’s USB Full-Speed, High-Speed and SuperSpeed (USB 3.0/3.1) bridging and controller products.  Share this:TwitterFacebookLinkedInMoreRedditTumblrPinterestWhatsAppSkypePocketTelegram Tags: Chips & Components last_img read more