Aston Villa star handed three-game ban after losing red card appeal

first_img Aston Villa midfielder Fabian Delph 1 Aston Villa midfielder Fabian Delph has lost his appeal against the red card he received in Sunday’s draw with Sunderland, the club have announced.Delph became the third Villa player to be sent off in four games after being dismissed for a challenge on Jordi Gomez in the 0-0 Premier League stalemate with the Black Cats.The dismissal forced manager Paul Lambert to deny his side were a dirty team after Kieran Richardson and Gabby Agbonlahor – who had his red card against Manchester United rescinded – were also sent off this month.But, even though Lambert said he thought the decision was “harsh” and that the resulting three-game ban would be “excessive”, the club confirmed the decision had been upheld.The Football Association also confirmed it had upheld the ban, with a statement reading: “A claim by Aston Villa that the suspension for a red card for Fabian Delph was excessive has been rejected by an FA Regulatory Commission.“Delph was sent off for serious foul play against Sunderland on 28 December 2014. His three-match suspension will commence with immediate effect.”The 25-year-old former Leeds man will now miss crucial Premier League clashes with Crystal Palace and Leicester, as well as Villa’s third-round FA Cup tie at home to Blackpool.Delph has been one of Lambert’s most consistent players of the season and has broken into the England squad, making his debut in September’s friendly victory over Norway and collecting two further caps in European Championship qualifiers.last_img read more

Exclusive – ‘We believe!’ Leicester players confident they can beat the drop, insists coach Phillips

first_imgLeicester City coach Kevin Phillips has told talkSPORT the Premier League strugglers are confident they can continue their winning run and avoid relegation.The Foxes, who were promoted to the top flight as Championship winners last season, have struggled for goals this season but have recently rediscovered their shooting boots, claiming three consecutive wins to rise off the foot of the table.Their most recent triumph saw top scorer Leonardo Ulloa also return to scoring ways, the Argentine netting his first goal since January to seal a 2-0 win over Swansea.Leicester’s run of form leaves them just one point from safety, with Nigel Pearson’s men currently still in the bottom-three only on goal difference.And, while admitting there is still plenty of work to be done with just six games left, former striker Phillips insists the side have the belief to secure their top flight safety.He told Hawksbee and Jacobs: “We’re all very happy after the weekend, but we’ve got six more really important games coming up and it starts again against Burnley on Saturday, which is another huge game.“The spirit within the team is very high, the lads believe they can get out of it and they’ve shown that over the last few weeks.“But we can’t get too complacent or too carried away. We’ve worked extremely hard to get ourselves into this position and the last thing we want to do now is throw it all away.“Our fate is in our own hands, we know what we need to do and we’re certainly ready for it.“I can only think of a few games where we perhaps haven’t turned up, we’ve been right in it for the majority of games and have just lost by the odd goal.“We felt that at some point our luck would turn and we’d get a few decisions go our way, and that’s what has happened in our last few matches.”last_img read more

Ryder Cup captain Thomas Bjorn to play Hero Challenge in London

first_imgLondon, Oct 7 (IANS) Ryder Cup winning Captain Thomas Bjorn and a member of his European team Thorbjorn Olesen have confirmed as the final two names to join four others including Justin Rose for the action-packed Hero Challenge golf tournament, taking place in Londons iconic Canary Wharf on October 9.The thrilling one-hole shootout will be the prelude to the Sky Sports British Masters at Walton Heath Golf Club and hosted by World Number Two Rose.Joining Bjorn, Olesen and Rose in Canary Wharf will be English duo Andrew Johnston and Matt Wallace as well as the Irish star Paul Dunne.In July, Matt Kuchar triumphed at the last Hero Challenge in the historic setting of Edinburgh Castle on the eve of the Aberdeen Standard Investments Scottish Open.Bjorn, who led Team Europe to a stunning 17 – 10 victory at Le Golf National last week, will return to the golf course in a playing capacity for the British Masters and will be making his debut at the Hero Challenge.”The last week has been an incredible one, and a busy one, after The Ryder Cup but I’ve enjoyed every minute of it,” said Bjorn. “I’m now looking forward to playing again and the Hero Challenge will be a nice way to ease into the week and have some fun before getting back to the business of competing at the Sky Sports British Masters,” he added.This will be the third successive season in which the British Masters will be preceded by the Hero Challenge, the innovative event having made its debut in 2016 at The Grove, won by Alex Levy, before 2017 tournament host Lee Westwood emerged victorious at Close House last year.advertisementWith the support of Hero MotoCorp, the world’s largest manufacturer of motorcycles and scooters, a further three editions were played in 2017, at the Aberdeen Standard Investments Scottish Open, the British Masters and the DP World Tour Championship, Dubai, won by American Patrick Reed, Englishman Lee Westwood and China’s Haotong Li respectively.–IANSKrishnaswamy/kk/sedlast_img read more