Efforts to salvage tanker off Goa to resume today

first_imgEfforts to pump out 2,400 tonnes of naphtha from a stranded cargo tanker off the Goa coast will resume on Saturday after a three-day break. The 144-metre chemical tanker MV Nu-Shi Nalini ran aground approximately 800 metres from Dona Paula, a popular tourist spot near Panaji, on October 24. On October 30, the salvage operation suffered a setback when a generator, brought in for pumping out the cargo of naphtha and other fuel on board from the vessel, had to be jettisoned into the Arabian Sea due to bad weather. Speaking to the media, Chief Minister Pramod Sawant said a new electric hydropump had been arranged and that operations to remove the naphtha would resume. The generator had been flown in from Mumbai by the Navy and was to be placed on board the ship to power the hydraulic pumps that would remove the naphtha along with 50 tonnes of heavy oil and 19 tonnes of diesel. The generator, damaged due to its jettisoning, was later recovered by Indian Navy divers. Efforts are on to repair it so that it too could be pressed into use, officials said.Officials said the hydropump would now be placed on board another barge that will be anchored beside the grounded tanker. “With the help of this hydropump, we will remove the naphtha from the grounded ship and shift it to the barge in tanks that are made available for this operations,” a government official said. A multi-agency operation has been under way since October 24, when rough seas, caused by Cyclone Kyarr, led to the grounding of MV Nu-Shi Nalini on a rocky shelf. It has been anchored unmanned at the Mormugao Port Trust’s outer anchorage and has not moved position since. The Goa government is meanwhile likely to rope in the services of a Singapore-based ship salvage company to refloat and move away the tanker once all the naphta, heavy oil and diesel is fully pumped out.last_img read more

Shaken by Chiefs, Pirates take shot at Final 4 vs Altas

first_imgMOST READ Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games LATEST STORIES Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next View comments Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ Argentine bishop appears at court hearing on abuse charges ‘A complete lie:’ Drilon refutes ‘blabbermouth’ Salo’s claims Winter storm threatens to scramble Thanksgiving travel plans San Sebastian hopes to stay in the thick of the fight for the last Final Four berth as it collides with St. Benilde at 4 p.m.Coming off a 76-65 loss to San Beda, the Stags face the dangerous Blazers, who turned in their best performance of the season last Thursday when they beat the Altas, 83-55.But while San Sebastian is hoping to stay in step with Letran and Emilio Aguinaldo College, which won their games last Tuesday, St. Benilde, with a 3-9 record, is looking to avoid early elimination.The Altas, who have a 4-7 record, have shown flashes of competitive fire against the top teams in the league.Perpetual Help coach Jimwell Gican hopes MVP leader Prince Eze and veterans GJ Ylagan, AJ Coronel, Keith Pido and Gab Dagangon can rise to the challenge and pin a first loss on the Pirates.ADVERTISEMENTcenter_img No more menthol cigarettes: New ban on tobacco, vape flavors Trump to designate Mexican drug cartels as terrorist groups But while the Pirates have been untouchable this season, they nearly fell on the wrong end of an upset last Friday before surviving the Arellano Chiefs, 94-92.Lyceum coach Topex Robinson hopes the narrow win will serve as a wake-up call for the Pirates to not take other teams for granted.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSBoxers Pacquiao, Petecio torchbearers for SEA Games opening“I was actually ready for my speech, telling the team that we’re not invincible,” said Robinson. “But the lesson there is that if we’re not gonna play our basketball, any team could beat us.”The Pirates have a wide array of weapons though as the likes of Reymar Caduyac, MJ Ayaay and JV and JC Marcelino stepped up down the stretch when CJ Perez fouled out. Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ Hotel says PH coach apologized for ‘kikiam for breakfast’ claim Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netIn the midst of a historic run, Lyceum shoots for a first Final Four appearance when it clashes with Perpetual Help on Thursday in NCAA Season 93 basketball tournament at Filoil Flying V Centre in San Juan.The Pirates, who have won their first 12 games of the season, can clinch the first postseason berth since joining the league in 2009 if they beat the Altas in the 2 p.m. duel.ADVERTISEMENT Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. So, Aronian held to semis drawslast_img read more

In The Spotlight – Nathan Jones

first_imgIn the twenty-seventh edition of In The Spotlight, Australian Men’s Open captain, Nathan Jones, speaks about what it means to him to be playing for Australia at the 2011 World Cup, and the biggest influences on his Touch Football career. Name: Nathan JonesNickname: JonesyAge: 30Affiliate: Lismore/DodgersOccupation: AccountantPosition: MiddleDebut for Australia: 2005 All Nations Tournament (Australian Mixed Open)Career highlights so far: 2010 Trans Tasman Series, 2009 National Touch League and 2004 New South Wales State Cup.How you got involved in Touch Football: My parents took me down to the local comp in Ballina. Favourite player: Ryan Pollock.What does it mean to you to be representing Australia at the 2011 World Cup: It means a lot, you can’t beat playing for Australia at a World Cup.Biggest influence on your Touch Football career: Mook Harrington and my family who have always supported me.Favourite sporting moment: Queensland State of Origin wins.What do you know about Scotland: It’s known for its whisky.Any superstitions: NoneFunniest Australian teammate: Stevie Roberts Favourite quote: ‘Grip it and rip it’ RP3 special!Any travel plans for after World Cup: A few days touring Scotland then some sightseeing around Europe.Stay tuned to the website for the upcoming editions of In The Spotlight, which will feature every Open’s player travelling to the World Cup. With only a month to go until the 2011 Federation of International Touch World Cup, be sure to be regularly visiting the Touch Football Australia website to keep up-to-date with all of the latest news and information. Don’t forget to become a fan of Touch Football Australia on Facebook and Twitter in the lead up to the 2011 World Cup to find out all you need to know about Australia’s World Cup campaign:http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Touch-Football-Australia/384949403384 www.twitter.com/touchfootyauslast_img read more

Ulstein Lays Keel for Lindblad Expeditions First Polar Ship

first_imgzoom Norwegian shipbuilder Ulstein has held a keel laying ceremony for Lindblad Expeditions Holdings’ first polar newbuild.The keel laying took place at the CRIST shipyard in Gdynia, Poland,  on March 17, 2018, and served as the official naming ceremony of the line’s latest addition to the Lindblad-National Geographic fleet. “We are thrilled to announce the name of our new polar ship: National Geographic Endurance, due for delivery in the first quarter of 2020,” Sven Lindblad, President and CEO of Lindblad Expeditions, announced at the ceremony.The order, placed in November 2017, includes an option for two additional vessels to be delivered after 2020.The 126-passenger polar vessel has been designed as the ultimate expedition platform with a focus on safety and comfort, as well as incorporating innovative sustainability solutions to reduce its environmental impact, according to Ulstein.A core feature is Ulstein’s X-BOW®, a bow that provides fuel efficiency and a very high ice class for access deep into polar regions. The ship’s expanded fuel and water tanks provide for extended operations in remote areas, while the zero-speed stabilizers will ensure stability, whether at zero speed or full steam ahead, as explained by the shipbuilder. “A Polar Class 5 rating gives us the ability to operate the ship freely at any time of year in polar environments vastly expanding our polar range. This means we can explore deeper into the pack ice, or further north to the unexplored reaches of the arctic,” Lindblad added.last_img read more

ExAFN national chief Mercredi blasts chiefs over divisions during closeddoor meeting

first_imgBy Jorge Barrera APTN National News WINNIPEG–Tensions over Assembly of First Nations National Chief Shawn Atleo’s leadership spilled onto the floor of the 8th floor conference hall at the Marlborough Hotel in Winnipeg this week during a meeting between Manitoba, Ontario and Saskatchewan chiefs.During the closed-door meeting, Grand Rapids First Nation Councillor Ovide Mercredie, a strong Atleo supporter and former AFN national chief, took to the microphone on Wednesday and berated the chiefs present over their lack of loyalty to the national chief and the AFN.Mercredi did not return calls requesting comment.“(Mercredi) said I support Shawn and I don’t want to hear AFN bashing or Shawn bashing,” according to a source who was present at the meeting.Mercredi also personally confronted Serpent River First Nation Chief Isadore Day, whose community is in Ontario, on the sidelines of the meeting over the same issue.Day, however, wouldn’t comment on the incident.Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs Grand Chief Derek Nepinak said Mercredi’s statements were “offensive” to some of the people in the room.“There was a lot of emotion; there was anger in his statement. He even said he was angry. He used a bit of profanity,” said Nepinak. “There was posturing involved in the statement, which I found to be disrespectful, because where I come from, when people posture it means you are scared of something. I don’t know what he is afraid of. I believe we come together as friends and people who respect one another.”Mercredi still carries considerable political weight within First Nation political circles and he swung it behind Atleo during this past summer’s AFN election for national chief.Mercredi also played a key role in the lead up to the Jan. 11 meeting between Prime Minister Stephen Harper, Atleo and First Nations leaders. He was involved in 11th hour discussions with Harper’s chief of staff Nigel Wright over a demand by a number of chiefs who had travelled to Ottawa that the meeting be held in a larger venue.The Prime Minister’s Office, however, stuck to the original plan and the meeting was held at the Langevin Block, across from Parliament Hill.Chiefs from Manitoba, Ontario and the Northwest Territories boycotted the meeting because they claimed it was being done on Harper’s terms and did not meet the demands of Attawapiskat Chief Theresa Spence. Spence launched her now-ended fast to force a meeting between the prime minister, Gov. Gen. David Johnston and all First Nations leaders.On the eve before the meeting, Onion Lake Cree Nation Chief Wallace Fox, Anishinabek Nation Grand Council Chief Patrick Madahbee and Day called on Atleo to cancel the meeting.Some chiefs from the prairies and Ontario say they feel Atleo is pushing the agenda of British Columbia chiefs at the expense of their own agenda which is based on re-establishing the Crown-First Nations relationship on the numbered and pre-Confederation treaties. Most of B.C. is not covered by treaties and many chiefs there are pushing for modern-day agreements.Atleo wields considerable support in British Columbia and in a conference call following the Jan. 11 meeting, chiefs there expressed their full support for him and criticized his opposition. One of the chiefs on the call blamed former AFN national chief candidate Pam Palmater for fomenting dissent.Atleo’s supporters believe much of the opposition Atleo faces stems from the recent electoral battle that saw Palmater finish a distant second.Nepinak said during a press conference Thursday that there is now a push to hold an AFN all-chiefs assembly in Saskatoon in early March.Nepinak also said there was talk of reviving a treaty alliance to push the treaty [email protected]@JorgeBarreralast_img read more

For Ghana ewaste recyclers a safer option amid toxic fumes

first_imgACCRA, Ghana — On any given day, plumes of noxious smoke rise above the Agbogbloshie dump site in Ghana’s capital, Accra.The billowing black smoke comes from the many informal e-waste recyclers who take unwanted electronics, strip them of their cables and burn away the protective covers to reach the valuable copper beneath.It’s a dangerous way to make a living, but an easily available one for the many unskilled workers arriving in search of money to get by. Ghana imports about 150,000 tons of secondhand electronics a year, according to a 2011 study co-ordinated under the Basel Convention, a global treaty on hazardous waste.Like many of the informal e-waste recyclers picking through the trash that comes largely from Europe and North America, Amin Idris comes from northern Ghana. After too many lungfuls of the acrid air, he decided to change his approach.“When I used to burn these cables, I felt ill,” he said. “That’s why I stopped burning and started bringing cables in here.”He stood at a wire-stripping machine at Green Advocacy Ghana, a non-governmental organization that operates inside the Agbogbloshie dump. For a fee ranging from 2 to 10 U.S. cents per pound of metal, electrical cables are fed through blades that slit open the plastic, making it easy to reach the copper or other metal wires inside.“When I strip cables here, it looks much better than burnt copper, and we’ll get higher prices for this stripped copper” Idris said.Bennett Nana Akuffo has run Green Advocacy Ghana for more than three years.“Every month, every year, we keep on getting more and more people. It’s a slow process and the people we are dealing with, for want of a better word, they are sometimes difficult to accept change,” Nana Akuffo said. “So it’s been a slow and gradual process.”The Environmental Protection Agency is Ghana’s main environmental regulator. “The law prohibits open burning of waste, in any form or shape. This includes electronic waste,” Principal Program Officer Larry Kotoe said.“Having said that, we are not saying the e-waste recyclers shouldn’t burn but rather that this predominantly informal sector should be transformed. The law is seeking to rebuild their capacity, retool them, so that they can safely dismantle e-waste.”While only Green Advocacy Ghana is currently active on the ground in the Agbogbloshie dump, the German government in partnership with Ghana’s government is building a health clinic and e-waste recycling training centre due to open there in early 2019.For professor Julius Fobil with the University of Ghana, more community participation from the start would make a project like Green Advocacy Ghana more effective. Environmental literacy among the informal workers “is currently very low,” he said.Fobil is concluding a long-term study of the health effects on e-waste recyclers at Agbogbloshie. He carried out blood and urine tests on a group of e-waste workers between 2016 and 2018.They “tend to have difficulties breathing,” he said. “Ailments range from minor coughs to complicated health problems like COPD. That’s chronic obstructive pulmonary diseases. We are also seeing that some of them are susceptible to long-term exposure like the increase of cancers — cancer due to exposure to some of these complex chemicals.”That’s a cost the dump’s informal recyclers, who make up to an estimated $285 a month, cannot afford to pay.___Follow Africa news at https://twitter.com/AP_AfricaNeil Shaw, The Associated Presslast_img read more

Husky Energy walks away from its hostile takeover bid for MEG Energy

first_imgCALGARY, A.B. – Husky Energy Inc. is walking away from its hostile takeover offer for MEG Energy Corp. after failing to win enough shareholder support.Husky says there have also been several negative surprises in the market since it first announced its offer at the end of September last year.The company cited production cuts for the oil industry mandated by the Alberta government and a lack of progress on Canadian oil export pipeline developments. The company’s offer for MEG expired Wednesday.All of the MEG shares that had been tendered to the offer will be returned to shareholders.Husky launched its stock-and-cash offer in September, but MEG rejected the bid as too low.last_img

3 Ohio State womens volleyball players recognized for outstanding play

At the end of the regular season, No. 14 Ohio State women’s volleyball team didn’t just earn an at-large bid to the 2012 NCAA Division 1 Women’s Volleyball Tournament, but three Buckeyes were also recognized for their spectacular play on the court as well. Leading their team to a 22-10 overall record, with a 13-7 record in the Big Ten, senior outside hitters Mari Hole and Emily Danks, along with junior outside hitter Kaitlyn Leary earned All-Big Ten honors as the league announced on Tuesday. Hole was one of the eight players that were voted unanimous All-Big Ten selections, while her teammates were awarded All-Big Ten honorable mention. For the second time in her career with OSU, Norway product Hole snagged All-Big Ten honor by being one of the best hitters in the country. She led her team with a 4.36 kills per set average in her conference that is the second best among all Big Ten student-athletes. Danks aced her way to her second All-Big Ten honorable mention honor by being one of the best in serving up aces. Against Big Ten opponents, Danks totaled 29 aces and led her team with 62 blocks. In a breakout season for the Parma, Ohio, product, Leary captured her first Big Ten honor as she finished second on her team with a 3.20 kills average against teams within her conference. She ended up with 243 kills for the year. The Buckeyes will continue their season into the 2012 NCAA Tournament, as they will face Notre Dame on Friday at Lexington, Ky. Tip-off for the game will start at 5 p.m. ET. read more